Day 67: Happy Birthday to Our Fathers

It is Father's Day in USA today. It is also the birthday of the fathers of both Lara and Claire. They are different people, these fathers, in case you are wondering. One was born in Bismark, the other in Cincinnati. One year apart.

I will let Lara talk about her father, but I will take this chance to talk about mine. Today, his book Game of Shadows: Barry Bonds, BALCO, and the Steroids Scandal that Rocked Professional Sports left the New York Times Bestseller list. It was there for 12 weeks, and I am very proud that it competed with the likes of Marley and Me: Life and Love With the World's Worst Dog, for so long. However, my pride does not eclipse my anger at the current administration of the US for wanting to put my father in jail for doing his job and being a reporter.

Among other things, the current administration has forgotten some of our amendments. Including the first one. For ongoing coverage on this issue, refer to the SF Chronicle's BALCO Pages. Or, you can bicker with people on the SF Chronicle's First Amendment Battle Blog. If you are really interested, you can even join my grandmother's letter writing campaign, which takes a "from one mother to another mother" handwritten tactic and implores Laura Bush to consider the effects of this who subpoena-ing trial issue on the stress of our family. Huh.

So, be smart people. Keep my father out of jail. (Put Barry in.)*

*Barry Bonds, contrary to what Claire believed until one illuminating conversation with her father 14 days before the March 2006 publication of Game of Shadows, does NOT play for a baseball team in New York. Instead, he plays for a team in the town in which Claire was born and raised. But sports are complicated, she says.

2 comments:

chloeee said...

fyi...spinoff numero due is out there in the world, and im reallllly embarrassed by its length. there is certainly an art to editing which I've yet to learn. thank u for the congratulatory email!

Amalia said...

i gave "game of shadows" to my step-father for father's day. i think that could also be considered my birthday present to lance. my generosity knows no bounds...

Real Time Web Analytics